Saturday, July 12, 2008

Life Lessons From a Biblical Perspective

My husband, whom I totally love, lost his wallet earlier this week. My husband, whom I totally love, has a tendency to loose/misplace things on a semi regular basis. I am the first to admit that I also misplace things, not quite as much as he, but more than I like to admit. So any way... He can't find his wallet. He looks everywhere in his car and in the house. At that point in the week our house was pretty...cluttered. Not a bad , call social services mess, just clutter. Craft stuff on the table, shoes scattered about, a few baskets of clean laundry waiting to be put away, toys and books and what nots not put where they belong, baseball gloves out, etc. Kids clutter and parents clutter not put away. Needless to say my husband couldn't find his wallet. He didn't think he left it at a store and he didn't think it fell out anywhere but maybe it did. He was pretty upset and worried so I called the credit card companies to cancel our cards and called the bank to let them know what was going on.
Now earlier that morning the kids and I read a devotion about Joseph and how his brothers did something bad to him by selling him as a slave, but God protected Joseph and let something good happen out of the bad situation.
When I came home later that afternoon I cleaned up the whole first floor of our house and some of the second. I called all the places we had gone the day before to see of anyone turned ion a wallet, nothing. With a clean house I still couldn't find the wallet. My husband came home from work that night to a clutter free hose but no wallet. I talked to him a little bit and was getting ready to go up to bed when I happened to glance at a ladder that was leaning up against the wall and there sat his wallet on the top step. "Thank you Lord his wallet is here!" was my first response, "Oh yeah, that's where I put it" was his.
The next morning I told the kids that we found daddy's wallet and I tried to relate the whole thing to the day before's devotions. We thought the wallet was lost which was a bad thing. But the good thing that came out of it besides finding the wallet was that the house got picked up. I don't think I would have done it if the wallet wasn't lost (that's another whole post)
I love being able to relate life to lesson's to the Bible and to what God wants us to know and teach our kids. Sometimes I have a hard time finding these opportunities, but I think those are the times that I'm not really looking!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Heather, that's great how you drew that connection for your kids! -teaching them to look on the positive side and relate Scripture to their life... I like it!

Nikki said...

Glad the lost has been found...and that you God gave you the wisdom and insight to use it as a teachable moment. And a clean house on top of it? Awesome!!!