Monday, June 18, 2007

baby steps or 5 year old steps?

My 5 year old son took a shower by himself for the first time!!! I thought this day would never come :{ My son is totally afraid of some forms of being in water. He hates going under water in a "big" pool, he is afraid to float around by himself in a pool with a life jacket on, he's not too fond of the sprinkler, he majorly hates getting his hair washed when I pour water on his head, and a shower!?!? well forget that. So today I gave him a summer cut (shave it all off). He was covered with hair when I was done so I told him to jump in the shower to rinse off and guess what?... He DID it!!! :) I helped him a bit from outside the tub and he had to wipe his eyes once, but he took his very first shower. So after he said we didn't get all the hair off and he wanted to take another shower tonight. Then tonight after his shower he said he wanted to take a shower in the morning. Oh no. Have I created a monster?
He is very shy and it takes him awhile to do things that he's just not sure about. But once he's ready...watch out. And I never know when he's gonna be ready, it just all of a sudden happens. He keeps us on our toes that's for sure. Gotta love um!! :)

3 comments:

Beth said...

Praise God!! That's awesome!! :)
You are a wonderful mom! Here are a couple "mom quotes" that I just love!

"Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world."
-- Kate Douglas Wiggin

"A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take."
-- Cardinal Mermillod

God bless you and your family! :)

jessica said...

How cool! Go P! Just wait, he is probably going to be on the swim team in high school:-)

Julie said...

I have one child who also hates the water...but has discovered the shower can be wonderful.

Kids, they are so funny sometimes.