Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I hate this house!

I don't "hate" my house, I hate my housekeeping skills or lack there of. I went into the kitchen to make some popcorn and wanted to cry. What a mess. I thought of snapping a few pictures to post but then realized how embarrassed I'd be if people saw my mess. Heck, I'm embarrassed just writing about it. I don't know why I can't keep a clean or at least semi clean house. Paul is always tripping over something or stepping on something (usually a toy that he didn't put away even though I told him to put it away a few times already) and he says, "stupid thing! Why is this house such a mess?!?!" (He's good at never taking the blame for things, it's always someone or something else's fault)
One of the reasons my house is the way it is is because we are lazy. We come in and put things down instead of putting them where they belong. Another reason is because Dave (husband) and I (more me than him) don't make the kids pick up after themselves or put something away before taking something else out.
My mom was always good at keeping a clean house. I don't remember her ever making us help her clean, maybe every once and a while. She enjoyed cleaning, I think. I enjoy cleaning and organizing other people's houses, just not my own. Ask me to come over and help you clean and I'll be right over. But clean my own house, where do I begin? I just look at it and get overwhelmed and want to cry.
I think another problem is that I am a pack rat. I like to keep things that "I might use that" or "the kids like to play with that once and a while". I just need someone to come and get rid of everything for me when I'm not here. Isn't there a show like that?
Oh yeah, something else. Our dishwasher broke almost a month ago and I told Dave that we
didn't need to get a new one right away because we've been stressing about money lately.
There are other things that we need more than a dishwasher. Like a car. So I said I could keep up with the dishes, a dishwasher was the least of our needs. I guess it is the least of our NEEDS
but greatest right now of my WANTS!! I hate washing dishes. Especially when they are piled pretty high. Oh, pray for me. I'm having a really hard time getting this adult thing figured out. I'm 27 and I've been married for 7 years. I feel like I'm playing house and any minute my mom's gonna tell me it's time to clean up and get ready for dinner. Guess what Heather, it's not gonna happen. This is reality, this is life.

6 comments:

Karin said...

put your house on the market and you'll change really fast. ;-) good luck with the getting the house in order thing. i used to save everything too, but I was tired of having all the stuff and started giving a lot to Goodwill and it is much more under control now...
wow, 7 years already, huh? 7 years ago I sang in your wedding. ;-) Life was so different 7 years ago! I'll pray for some peace for you! Many blessings to you dear friend!

Julie said...

Oh, Girl, I totally understand. I have totally been there.

Sometimes I also feel like I am just playing at being grown up and my Mom will come in and take over at any time. And I am 43!

I will tell you that I also grew up in a home where the kids didn't really help. However, my Mom was never driving us all over to sports, working at the school, and helping at church. She was just home cleaning.

My kid have to help. They each have assigned jobs for every day of the week. It is a happit now so I don't get to much complaining.

I also rented a dumpster last year and filled it up three times with "treasues". All that stuff was causing me way to much stuff. I feel much better with less clutter around.

Hang in there. I'll be praying for you.

Blessings,
Julie

A Captured Reflection said...

Hi there, I saw your post on Surviving Motherhood's blog thought I'd say hi. It's hard work keeping houses clean with kids in isn't it? Sometimes I so want to do some other stuff, but little disaster trails seem to spread from one end to the other. I have a 6 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I'm a neat freak, in fact for fun I bought one of those Little Miss t-shirts this morning "Little Miss Neat" - anyway, God is teaching me to chill a bit and live in the moment, so he's got us all going along a different journey and you know what - his plan for us is perfect and we don't have to be like anyone else - how cool is that?

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, Heather, I understand! We just moved and when I was cleaning our house, getting it ready to put on the market I became disgusted with my housekeeping skills. (Or lack thereof, as you put it.) My husband came home and I told him if he wanted to fire me as housekeeper I wouldn't object or disagree.
As I was scrubbing walls, etc. I realized why my mom made us clean every week when I was a kid - If you always clean your house when it doesn't need it, it never will! I'm going to try to do things a little differently in the new place. (while also trying not to be too uptight and stressed about it) One thing we're doing is everyone cleans a bathroom Saturday morning before ANY playing happens. That is, I clean mine, my daughter cleans hers, and the boys clean theirs (while, in theory, dad supervises.) No way am I cleaning three bathrooms!
As to the dishwasher, we have one in the new house. First time in fourteen years of marriage we have a dishwasher! As a kid I didn't think I could live without it, but I learned I could.
I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and I hope you find a way to manage this house stuff. Hang in there, friend!
Love,
Karen

Karen Hossink said...

I've been thinking about you tonight and wanted to share a website with you. http://flylady.com/
I have not personally spent time there, but have friends who swear by it as a help with getting your home under control. Hope it helps!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, just read your blog and it is like you took the thoughts out of my head and wrote them down. I am a 22 year old mother of four. Oldest is 3 second is 2 and i have twin4 month olds. I have been married four years and just cant seem to get it down. if you ever have a solution let me know. but I thought I would let you know you are not alone and as bad as it seems now it could be worse. I didnt think it could get worse but my marine husband was deployed just before the twins were born so I am playing house alone right now. Really hang in there. ~sabrina